Skip to main content

Why would I go to Doonbeg?

Irish people are very good at talking about the current U.S. President without saying his name.

"Are you going to Doonbeg on Saturday?"
"I'd love to visit America, but maybe ye could get rid of him first."
"It's such a shame what he's done."

I did not go to the protests in Dublin or Doonbeg today. I considered it. I had my protest placard designed in my head weeks ago (TRANSGENDER AMERICAN REFUGEE in simple block letters). For several reasons, I decided today would be a good day to stay in Limerick. I am here because that administration is making America unsafe for people like me, and for many other people too.

There is no getting away from him. And it's not just because he owns property on this island--we all share the same planet. The consequences of war and climate change affect all of us, no matter where we are. The choices of one person do influence the rest of humanity, especially when that one person wields unthinkable power.

I am choosing to focus on the response of Uachtaráin na hÉireann (President of Ireland), Catherine Connolly. I am deeply impressed by the statement she released after their "courtesy call" today:

"As President of Ireland, I am very conscious that Ireland and the United States of America are bound by strong ties. This is a deep connection, built over centuries, which allows us to speak openly to one another. 

We are in a world facing the existential threat posed by war and climate change, both of which are inextricably interlinked.

I conveyed the strong view of the Irish people that the normalisation of war and genocide can never be accepted.

As a country which has suffered famine, colonisation and the violence of the Troubles, but also the importance of the long and challenging road to peace, I emphasised the unique insight which Irish people can bring to the resolution of conflict.

I highlighted [...] the strong commitment which the Irish people have to international relations, to the importance of the United Nations, including the pride which Irish people feel in Ireland’s contribution to UN Peacekeeping since 1958, and to the obligations contained within Article 29 of our Constitution towards the peaceful resolution of international disputes.

I assured [him] that the Irish people would strongly support all those who have the strength to build a shared peace in all those parts of the world currently suffering from such horrific war and violence."

Catherine Connolly, President of Ireland. She is shaking hands with someone who has been cropped out of the frame.
Uachtaráin na hÉireann Catherine Connolly (AP).

This is the statement of a person who knows what she believes in and knows how to set boundaries. As expressed here, she reminds us all of our shared history, fate, and obligations. She declares that the commitment of the Irish people is to peace, and that a commitment to peace is the condition for Irish support.

We can prioritize peace without pandering to the whims of those who would destroy it. We can call attention to the mission without calling any further attention to its detractors.

As for the most unwelcome American on Irish soil...seems like the best response to someone who thrives on attention the way he does is to completely ignore him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Month: How I Got Here

Today marks one month since I stepped off a plane into a country where I'd never been before and tried to call it "home." I've been going back and forth: "do I blog about it? is that even something we still do in 2026?" but here we are, and the impulse to write for some unknown audience remains. If you had told me a year ago that this is where I'd be today, I wouldn't have believed you. In September 2025, I applied for a job. My spouse and I, both transgender Americans with varying levels of inconsistent identity documentation, were getting nervous as we watched the window of possibility for leaving a hostile country closing around us. I decided I'd better know what my options were. After all, I got this PhD to take me places--right? (Well, that and to escape the gendered honorific system--my nonbinary, genderqueer self really prefers being called "Doctor" to any other title that people tend to choose for me.) My professional credential...

What's the immigration office like?

I am now the proud owner of a passport stamp that says I can stay in Ireland until next June. That was a productive quick trip to Dublin (about 2 hours by train).  Loughmore Castle, as seen from the window of the Iarnród Éireann train. (Technically this was on my way back  from Dublin.) For a lot of people with United States experience, "immigration" is a negatively loaded word. People who have immigrated to the U.S. are scapegoated for everything from violence to economic insecurity. The government agency Immigration and Customs Enforcement , only created in 2002 in the wake of the September 11 attacks, now functions as ICE, Trump's nefarious secret police,  terrorizing American communities and killing with apparent impunity.  When we traveled to Iceland last summer, our homestay host even commented on how scared we all must be of "the ICE guys" who can come into your home for no reason.  In large part because of these connotations, I want to write about the en...