Skip to main content

3 Irish television ads

I've recently been watching The Traitors Ireland on RTÉ Player, which has introduced me to Irish TV ads. So far there's been no politics and no pharmaceuticals--very different from what I'm used to. Here are my 3 favorite Irish television ads so far, in no particular order.

Carbon monoxide canary


I found out when I was putting this post together that Tommy McAnairey has been around since 2014. 

Grazin' Squad: We Got Beef (and Dairy)

I've only seen about 30 seconds of this at a time during ad breaks. I'm thrilled that it's a full track.

Beer Pressure

I can't find a version of this to embed, so I'll have to link you to Instagram for this parody of "Under Pressure" about the moment when your friend at the pub asks, "Same again?" I love Guinness 0.0 (it's a delicious way to participate in pub culture without alcohol), I love Queen, I love challenging paradigms--what more could I ask for?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Month: How I Got Here

Today marks one month since I stepped off a plane into a country where I'd never been before and tried to call it "home." I've been going back and forth: "do I blog about it? is that even something we still do in 2026?" but here we are, and the impulse to write for some unknown audience remains. If you had told me a year ago that this is where I'd be today, I wouldn't have believed you. In September 2025, I applied for a job. My spouse and I, both transgender Americans with varying levels of inconsistent identity documentation, were getting nervous as we watched the window of possibility for leaving a hostile country closing around us. I decided I'd better know what my options were. After all, I got this PhD to take me places--right? (Well, that and to escape the gendered honorific system--my nonbinary, genderqueer self really prefers being called "Doctor" to any other title that people tend to choose for me.) My professional credential...

Why would I go to Doonbeg?

Irish people are very good at talking about the current U.S. President without saying his name. "Are you going to Doonbeg on Saturday?" "I'd love to visit America, but maybe ye could get rid of him first." "It's such a shame what he's done." I did not go to the protests in Dublin or Doonbeg today. I considered it. I had my protest placard designed in my head weeks ago (TRANSGENDER AMERICAN REFUGEE in simple block letters). For several reasons, I decided today would be a good day to stay in Limerick. I am here because that administration is making America unsafe for people like me, and for many other people too. There is no getting away from him. And it's not just because he owns property on this island--we all share the same planet. The consequences of war and climate change affect all of us, no matter where we are. The choices of one person do influence the rest of humanity, especially when that one person wields unthinkable power. I am ch...

What's the immigration office like?

I am now the proud owner of a passport stamp that says I can stay in Ireland until next June. That was a productive quick trip to Dublin (about 2 hours by train).  Loughmore Castle, as seen from the window of the Iarnród Éireann train. (Technically this was on my way back  from Dublin.) For a lot of people with United States experience, "immigration" is a negatively loaded word. People who have immigrated to the U.S. are scapegoated for everything from violence to economic insecurity. The government agency Immigration and Customs Enforcement , only created in 2002 in the wake of the September 11 attacks, now functions as ICE, Trump's nefarious secret police,  terrorizing American communities and killing with apparent impunity.  When we traveled to Iceland last summer, our homestay host even commented on how scared we all must be of "the ICE guys" who can come into your home for no reason.  In large part because of these connotations, I want to write about the en...